We are currently looking for smart, entrepreneurial, tech-savvy women and men with overwhelming initiative to help us grow Girls Learning Code and Kids Learning Code in Toronto! Empower girls and boys to learn beginner-friendly technical skills, gain experience planning large and small workshops and events, and make a bit of money working part-time for a non-profit doing cool work.
If you’re interested in joining our team as a workshop Facilitator, and have availability 8:00am-5:00pm on weekdays, please get in touch with us via the application below.
About Ladies Learning Code Toronto
Ladies Learning Code was founded in Toronto in August of 2011. We’re an incorporated not-for-profit organization, and we run popular workshops for women and youth who want to learn beginner-friendly programming and other technical skills in a social and collaborative way. Our first workshop sold out in less than a day, and over the past three years over 12,000 women (and men) have participated in a Ladies Learning Code workshop. We also run programming for girls and boys ages 6-13 under Girls Learning Code and Kids Learning Code (that's where you come in!) that encourages them to leverage technology as a creative tool to change the world. Learn more about our workshops, day camps, and in-school programs for girls and boys on our website here!
About The Role
- Lead beginner-friendly workshops for girls and boys ages 6-13 in a fun and interactive environment
- Manage the tone and the pace of the event and ensure all participants are engaged and learning
- Encourage and motivate girls and boys to try new things, to take risks, and to not be afraid to make mistakes
- Work with our Youth Program Leads to help develop new content and strategies for improving workshops as needed
- Work with our Lead of Instructor Experience to develop your teaching skills and learn about our recommended best practices for dealing with behavioural problems
- Be the face of Girls Learning Code and Kids Learning Code at our workshops by engaging with parents and guardians and promoting upcoming events
- You enjoy working with girls and boys of all ages and can encourage and motivate them to try new things
- You have a passion for teaching digital skills to the next generation
- You are tech-savvy and can help trouble shoot coding bugs and hardware issues
- You want to work alongside a team of innovative and self-motivated staff and volunteers to grow Girls Learning Code and Kids Learning Code in Toronto
- You are frequently available on weekdays, 8:00am-5:00pm to assist with our PA Day workshops throughout the year and March Break/Summer Camps
About the Hiring Process
To ensure that you are not only a good fit for this position, but also that you are comfortable and prepared to excel in this role, applicants will be asked to do the following:
- Attend an online group info session with one of our Youth Program Leads, where they will talk about the Facilitator role and ask questions to get to know candidates better.
- Volunteer as a Mentor at a workshop to show an ability to effectively engage with kids and/or teens and to observe a Facilitator in action.
- Attend a Facilitator Skills and Behaviour Management Training session with our Lead of Instructor Experience (this may be in person or online).
- Attend a Content Training session with one of our Youth Program Leads (this may be in person or online).
- Volunteer as a Co-Facilitator at a workshop to show an ability to deliver the workshop content in an engaging way and effectively manage learner behaviour issues.