We are currently looking for a smart, entrepreneurial, tech-savvy individual with overwhelming initiative to join our Chapter team in Lethbridge, Alberta.
Empower women (and men) as well as youth (ages 8-13) to learn beginner-friendly technical skills, build your network of technical and tech-savvy people in your city, gain experience planning large and small workshops and events, and make a bit of money working part-time for a non-profit doing cool work.
If you’re interested in joining the Ladies Learning Code Lethbridge team as a Chapter Lead, please get in touch with us via the application below.
Ladies Learning Code was founded in Toronto in August of 2011. We’re an incorporated not-for-profit organization, and we run wildly popular workshops for women (and men) who want to learn beginner-friendly programming and other technical skills in a social and collaborative way. Our first workshop sold out in less than a day, and within our first year almost 2000 women (and men) had participated in a Ladies Learning Code workshop. Since then, we’ve expanded to over 29 Chapter communities and reached over 50,000 Canadians with our digital literacy initiatives!
If you answered yes to the above questions, you may be who we’re looking for!
Organize an average of one full-day Ladies Learning Code workshop per month (except in December and during the summer months)
Key workshop details:
Running workshops is a lot of work – that’s something we’ve learned over the past five years! In order to help you make your city’s Ladies Learning Code chapter a success, we’ll be supporting our Chapter Leads in several important ways. We take care of:
1. Accountability It is important that you work well with your local community to make sure all invested parties – from instructors to sponsors to attendees – have a great experience with Ladies Learning Code events. As a Ladies Learning Code Chapter Lead, you are responsible for the success of each event. Ladies Learning Code will collect data from attendees, instructors, mentors and other stakeholders after each event you facilitate, and will periodically review your performance.
2. Communicating the Ladies Learning Code Message As a Ladies Learning Code Chapter Lead, it is incredibly important that you understand and communicate the Ladies Learning Code message and value proposition at each event you facilitate. For example, it is important that you represent the following: Men are welcome at Ladies Learning Code workshops and events (but encouraged to bring along an additional female learner when possible!) Ladies Learning Code is platform- and language-agnostic Ladies Learning Code is proudly non-profit and powered by volunteers. Our volunteers are everything to us, and should be treated as such.
3. Representing Ladies Learning Code to the Local Community As a Ladies Learning Code Chapter Lead, you are the public face of Ladies Learning Code in your city. You will need to understand how to work with and what to expect from the local media.
4. Ensuring Event Logistics Are Coordinated Properly Event planning and logistics are the responsibility of the Ladies Learning Code Chapter Lead. This includes everything from selecting a topic, finding a Lead Instructor, choosing a date and venue, coordinating talented volunteers to achieve a 4:1 ratio of students-to-instructors, ordering catering, communicating event details to the Toronto team so that we can launch registration, etc. The Toronto team will provide ancillary support in making sure events are coordinated and executed properly.
5. Managing the Event’s Tone One of the most important responsibilities of a Ladies Learning Code Chapter Lead is maintaining the tone of the event. Creating a vibrant, positive & inclusive atmosphere where individuals can learn new tech-related skills in a beginner-friendly, social and collaborative way is really the magic that makes Ladies Learning Code workshops successful.
Are you the person we’re looking for? Apply today!
Please send your CV (or a link to your LinkedIn profile!) and a brief cover letter outlining what you would hope to accomplish as the Lethbridge Chapter Lead to email@example.com with the subject "Application: Lethbridge Chapter Lead".